The Renewable Energy Industry is Growing In Connecticut
Connecticut is a leader in innovation with 38 colleges and universities focused on R&D and workforce development. This combination has made the state at the forefront of renewable energy technologies and implementation.
Fuel cells from Connecticut-powered technologies have been present on NASA’s Apollo and space shuttle missions since the 1960s. Today, the state is home to one the largest fuel cell power projects in North America, as well as one of the global centers for green energy innovation — named a “Top 3 State” for fuel cell development by the U.S. Department of Energy.
- The first “Green Bank” in the United States was founded in CT.
- Business Facilities Magazine ranks Connecticut 5th in the United States for Offshore Wind Power. (2020)
- Connecticut ranked #6 on the U.S. Clean Tech Leadership Index
- Connecticut is home to the nation’s second largest installed fuel cell capacity. (U.S. Department of Energy, 2017)
- Connecticut was ranked the #7 Greenest State in the U.S. (WalletHub, 2018)
- Connecticut is #4 in the U.S. for private R&D investment per capita, almost twice the national average. (EMSI 2019)
- Connecticut is #8 in the U.S. for science and engineering doctorates in the workforce. (National Science Foundation, 2018)
- Connecticut ranks #2 in the U.S. for patent activity. (Bloomberg Innovation Index, 2020)
- Connecticut has the #1 lowest impact on climate change in the U.S. out of all 50 states. (WalletHub, 2021)
CT Hydrogen-Fuel Cell Coalition promotes development, manufacturing and deployment of fuel cell and hydrogen technologies, serving as a voice for the industry. Likewise, Energize Connecticut provides information on the consumer side, for both homeowners and businesses. Both are part of the strong industry ecosystem supporting renewable energy in the state. Other industries associations include Renewable Energy Association of Connecticut, Connecticut Power & Energy Society and Renewable Energy & Efficiency Business Association.
Support for Connecticut’s Renewable Energy Industry
The State of Connecticut offers extensive support for renewable energy manufacturers.
- Connecticut Green Bank
- C-PACE (Commercial Property Assessed Clean Energy)
- Connecticut State Technology Extension Program