Located in the southwestern corner of the state along the shoreline and New York border, the Fairfield region is one of the most distinctive and diverse areas of Connecticut. Home to four of Connecticut's most dynamic and diverse metropolitan areas – Bridgeport, Stamford, Norwalk, and Danbury – as well as numerous coastal and inland small towns, the region has a range living options for everyone. Its charm, lifestyle appeal, and lower cost of living offer a welcome counterbalance to New York City, both for residents and businesses alike.
While often considered part of the New York City metro economy— particularly when it comes to the financial services and digital technology sectors – Fairfield County is a powerhouse in its own right. 11 Fortune 500 companies call the region home, which also includes a thriving startup and tech-focused ecosystem. The diverse, skilled, mobile workforce is just one of the many reasons that the Fairfield region is considered by many to be a ‘global neighborhood.’
- 28 MetroNorth railroad stations offer easy access for commuters into and out of New York City
- 30 minutes from Westchester County Airport, 1 hour from JFK and LaGuardia Airports in New York City
- Amtrak stops in Stamford and Bridgeport providing rail services throughout the country with convenient routes to Boston, Philadelphia, and Washington, D.C.
- Bridgeport Harbor’s deep water port is undergoing major renovations to accommodate the offshore wind industry and other shipping needs
- The Bridgeport metropolitan area was ranked the #12 most educated MSA in the country (WalletHub, 2021)
- The Bridgeport metropolitan area was also rated the 9th most productive in the U.S. (Statista, 2021)
- Fairfield University is the 3rd most innovative regional college in the northeast (US News, 2021)
- The Fairfield region is one of the most diverse in the country and a hub of multiculturalism.
- More than 1 in 3 residents of Stamford are foreign born
- Multiple cities rank nationally for the diversity of their residents, including:
- Danbury at #10
- Stamford at #16
- Norwalk at #21
- Bridgeport at #23
Cost of Living
#7 in Small Cities of the Future (Americas), #1 for Connectivity, #7 for Human Capital & Lifestyle
(fDi Intelligence, 2021)
Norwalk & Danbury
Top 100 places to live in the U.S.
97th percentile for best small cities in America
Cities and Towns
Learn more about each of the Fairfield region’s cities and towns: