Connecticut’s Business Environment Fuels Innovation & Growth
Connecticut knows how to support business growth - be fiscally responsible, have plans, policies and strategies that are easy to navigate and invest in people. That’s where Connecticut really shines. From Pre-K to community colleges and universities, Connecticut is investing heavily in education for all and removing the traditional barriers to workforce training. That investment is paying off. Connecticut’s highly skilled, highly educated workforce is rated among the best in the country and our companies are reaping the benefits of their talent.
Connecticut is the Insurance Capital of the U.S. and a leader in the financial services industry. More broadly, the state is home to 2 Fortune 100, 14 Fortune 500 and 26 Fortune 1000 companies. Globally recognized brands like ESPN, Xerox and Cigna have made their headquarters in Connecticut, as are startups like Yale spinoff Quantum Circuits, Inc.
Talent, combined with a strong business ecosystem and access to major east coast markets like NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington D.C. have made Connecticut the location of choice for companies of all sizes.
“Number one was a very pro-business attitude exemplified by those in the state government. Second, it was easy access to intellectual capital, great people with a strong work ethic. Third, was easy access to transportation. We’re only a hop, skip and a jump to major airports and Manhattan.”
- The Navigators Group CEO Stan Galanski on relocating their headquarters from New York to Stamford
“Connecticut’s universities are great engines of innovation. Those ideas attract capital, both from the private sector and the public sector. Together, with Connecticut’s talent pool, those are the three ingredients for a successful bioscience company.”
- Arvinas Founder Craig Crews on launching a pharmaceutical enterprise in New Haven
- #2 in the U.S. for Patent Activity (Bloomberg State Innovation Index, 2020)
- 6th for Human Capital Investment (Milken Institute, 2020)
- 38 World-class Colleges & Universities, including Yale & UConn
- #1 State for the Digital Economy (Information Technology & Innovation Foundation, 2020)
- 2nd Best Public School System in the U.S. (WalletHub 2021)
- #2 Best High Schools in the Country (US News & World Report, 2021)
- #1 State for Internet Access to Households Supports Remote Workers (Broadband Now & WalletHub)
- #3 for Most Employees with Advanced Degrees (U.S. Census Bureau, 2020)
- 4th Most Innovative Economy (Bloomberg State Innovation Index, 2020)
- 6th Most Productive Workforce (Defined by GDP per capita, U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis 2019)
- #5 Technology & Science Workforce (Milken Institute, 2020)
- 2nd Highest Quality Public School Systems (WalletHub, 2021)
- #1 State for College Readiness (US News & World Report, 2021)
- #3 for Quality of PreK - 12 Education (U.S. News & World Report, 2021)