AdvanceCTFormerly the Connecticut Economic Resource Center (CERC) +1 (860) 571-7136

Business Entity Formation/Management

What Is a “DBA”?

DBA is an abbreviation for “doing business as”. Typically owners of sole proprietorships and general partnerships who wish to do business using a name other than their own name file a DBA with the town clerk in the town in which the business is based. Corporations, LLC’s, LLPs, and LPs are not required to file a DBA, however, if the business wishes to market or operate as a name other than the registered name with the Connecticut Secretary of the State, then the business should file a DBA.  Other term used for DBA include trade name certificate or fictitious name.

If a business is registered with the Connecticut Secretary of the State and wishes to add a DBA, once the DBA is filed with the town clerk, the business needs to notify agencies such as the ones listed below that a DBA was added to an existing business.

  • Connecticut Department of Revenue Services
    800-382-9463(instate only), (860) 297-5962 or
    Agency website:

    • Notify the agency in writing and mail to: 
      Department of Revenue Services
      Registration Unit
      450 Columbus Blvd.
      Hartford, CT 06103
  • Connecticut Department of Labor860-263-6550
    Agency website:
    • Compose a letter stating the reason for the change and include previous registration information. Fax to 860-263-6567 or mail to Attention: Employer Status, Connecticut Department of Labor, 200 Folly Brook Boulevard, Wethersfield, CT 06109. 
  • Internal Revenue Services (IRS)800-829-4933
    Agency website:
    • Compose a letter stating the change including the current Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN).  Mail the letter to Internal Revenue Service, EIN Operation, Holtsville NY 00501 or fax to 631-447-8960.
  • Additional Agencies
    Each agency handles changes differently. For more information contact the individual agencies directly.