AdvanceCT +1 (860) 571-7136


What are the requirements for a trucking company?

A commercial motor vehicle is designed or used to transport passengers or property and has the following characteristics:

  • Has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 or more pounds
  • A trailer with a GVWR of more than 10,000 pounds if the gross combination weight rating (GCWR) is 26,001 pounds or more
  • Is designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver; or is designed to transport more than 10 passengers, including the driver, and used to transport students under the age of 21 years to and from school
  • Any size vehicle that is used in the transportation of any material that requires hazardous materials placards or any quantity of a material listed as a select agent or toxin in 42 CFR 73. 

Transporting Within State Lines

Register with the Connecticut Department of Revenue Services for the Motor Carrier Fuel Tax (REG-3MC).  *Please note that the IFTA (International Fuel Tax Agreement) registration is not needed if you are transporting goods within the state border only. Contact the agency: 1-800-382-9463 (Connecticut only) or 860-297-5962 or

Transporting Across State Border

All Trucking Businesses