AdvanceCT +1 (860) 571-7136


Does a courier service require special registrations?

Couriers are required to register their vehicles and obtain commercial plates as well as obtain a commercial driver's license from the Department of Motor Vehicles. Contact: 800-842-8222, 860-263-5700 or email.  Visit 

Commercial insurance and an insurance bond is also required, contact an insurance agent for more information.
According to the Connecticut Department of Revenue Services, couriers are not subject to sales and use tax.   Contact: 1-800-382-9463 (Connecticut only), (860) 297-5962 or , visit

What are the requirements for a trucking company?

A commercial motor vehicle is designed or used to transport passengers or property and has the following characteristics:

  • Has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 or more pounds
  • A trailer with a GVWR of more than 10,000 pounds if the gross combination weight rating (GCWR) is 26,001 pounds or more
  • Is designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver; or is designed to transport more than 10 passengers, including the driver, and used to transport students under the age of 21 years to and from school
  • Any size vehicle that is used in the transportation of any material that requires hazardous materials placards or any quantity of a material listed as a select agent or toxin in 42 CFR 73. 

Transporting Within State Lines

Register with the Connecticut Department of Revenue Services for the Motor Carrier Fuel Tax (REG-3MC).  *Please note that the IFTA (International Fuel Tax Agreement) registration is not needed if you are transporting goods within the state border only. Contact the agency: 1-800-382-9463 (Connecticut only) or 860-297-5962 or

Transporting Across State Border

All Trucking Businesses

Are there any special requirements for commercial dive and/or boat chartering operations?

According to the U.S. Coast Guard, commercial dive operations should be familiar with the federal regulations governing commercial diving. For more information contact the U.S. Coast Guard Marine Safety Office directly: (860) 271-2704. 

If the operation charters a boat which carries more than six (6) paying customers, the boat must be inspected.

Pilots of marine vessels must be certified through the U.S. Coast Guard National Maritime Center through their Regional Examination Center.  The Northeast Region has offices in Boston and New York. To schedule an appointment at any regional office call: 1-888-427-5662. 

According to the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles, all boats with a motor, regardless of size, must be registered. Boats that are 19 1/2 feet or larger, with or without a motor, must also be registered.  Fee structure.  Contact the agency: (860) 263-5700, 800-842-8222 (Connecticut only).

If boat chartering is for the purpose of fishing, contact the Connecticut Department of Energy &  Environmental Protection for requirements. Contact the agency: (860) 424-3003.

Do freight handlers (forwarders) require licensing?

Connecticut does not require a trade or occupational license for freight handlers.  However the following applies:

Air Transporters
Contact the Federal Aviation Administration at Bradley International Airport, Windsor Locks.  If operating from a state owned airport, the business must hold a lease.  A lease is not required if operating at a private airport.  Air handlers that operate a personally owned aircraft require a certificate from the airport.  Contact the agency: (860) 654-1000  Visit:

Land Transporters
See What are the Requirements for a Trucking Company

Does my business need to hold a license to offer hot air balloon rides?

Businesses that operate hot air balloon rides are required to check with the planning and zoning office in the town(s) in which they plan to operate.

If the business has over 36 operations (landing and take-offs) per year, licensing is required through the Connecticut Department of Transportation, Bureau of Aviation.  Contact the agency: (860) 594-2000.  

Be sure to review the Federal Aviation Administration.  The FAA call hot air balloons "manned free ballooning".  Review the agency's licensing information. Contact the agency:  (860) 654-1000. 

What licenses are required for transportation services such as: limousine, livery including motor and school busses, taxi and transportation networks such as Uber and Lyft?

Businesses that provide limousine, livery (including motorbus/school bus), taxi services and transportation networks such as Uber and Lyft are required to obtain a permit through the Connecticut Department of Transportation. Contact the agency: (860) 594-2865.

Register the vehicle with the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles.  Review rate information

The agency also oversees the a new federal law, the Unified Carrier Registration Program, that applies to operations involving trucks and busses that travel interstate, involved in international commerce, or if you make the arrangements for the transportation of cargo and goods

Also, the driver must hold a  commercial driver's license.  Review: Commercial Driver's License Manual and Motor Carrier Handbook.  
Contact the agency: (860) 263-5700, (800) 842-8222, or (860) 263-5281 (Unified Carrier).

The use of local drivers who can take people from point A to point B for a fee are required to hold a livery permit, this includes services like UBER.

The transportation of people across state lines requires a U.S. DOT Number.  Review licensing and registration, Small Passenger-Carrying Vehicless (9-15 individuals) and SAFER.  Contact the agency: 1-800--832-5660, 202-366-4000, 860-659-6700, ext. 3020

Note: Applies to passenger motor carriers that transports between nine (9) and fifteen (15) passengers (including the driver) for compensation or if you transport sixteen (16) or more passengers across state borders (interstate commerce),

If the vehicle used to transport people has two axils and a registered gross vehicle weight exceeding 26,000 pounds or 11,797 Kilograms or has three or more axils regardless of weight, registration for the Motor Carrier Fuel Tax (REG-3MC)  (instate transportation) or the International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) (interstate transportation) is required with the Connecticut Department of Revenue Services. Contact the agency:  800-382-9463 (Connecticut only), (860) 297-5962.  Visit: