AdvanceCTFormerly the Connecticut Economic Resource Center (CERC) +1 (860) 571-7136

Business Entity Formation/Management

How do I dissolve (close) my business?

The following information is a guideline for dissolving (closing) an existing business.

  • Secretary of the State
    860-509-6002 or

    Dissolving a corporation, limited liability company, limited liability partnership or limited partnership requires the business to file Articles of Dissolution

    This step can should be completed online.

  • Connecticut Department of Revenue Services
    1-800-382-9463 (Connecticut only), 860-297-5962 or

    The agency provides details on how to notify them about closing a business.

  • Connecticut Department of Labor

    Compose a letter stating the reason for change, include registration information. Fax to 860-263-6567 or mail to Attention: Employer Status, Connecticut Department of Labor, 200 Folly Brook Boulevard, Wethersfield, CT 06109.

  • Internal Revenue Services (IRS)

    Instructions are availabe online or contact the agency directly for further instructions.  Online select Business and then Closing a business

  • Additional Agencies
    Each agency handles changes differently. For more information contact the individual agencies directly.