AdvanceCT +1 (860) 571-7136


Are there regulations for operating a judgment recovery / collections business?

Judgment recovery / collections requires a Consumer Collections Agency license through the Department of Banking.  Contact: 860-240-8200 or visit

The National Judgment Network ( provides information on training to become a judgment recovery agent.  Contact:  use online inquiry form.

How do I obtain a title insurance agent license in Connecticut?

According to the Connecticut Department of Insurance (, a title agent license is no longer required in Connecticut.  However, no person may act as a title agent unless he/she is a commissioner of the Connecticut Superior Court.  It is recommend that you contact the Connecticut Judicial Statewide Grievance Committee ( to determine if there are any restrictions at (860) 568-5157 or

Also, refer to Connecticut General Statute §38a-401.

Is a license required to sell extended warranty / service contracts?

Extended warranty contracts which provide an insurance component rather than service only are regulated through the Property and Casualty Division of the Connecticut Department of Insurance.  

According to the Conn. Gen. Stat. 42-260 extended warranties are defined as "a contract agreement to either perform or provide indemnification for the repair, replacement or maintenance of a product because of operational or structural failure of such product due to a defect in materials, skill or workmanship or normal wear and tear given for consideration over and above the lease or purchase price of a product" 

As of July 1, 2003, contracts for the repair, replacement or maintenance of automobiles are considered to be extended warranty contracts.

The law does not apply to extended warranties through major credit cards, home warranty or home service warranties which are governed by Conn. Gen. Stat. 38a-320

Providers of extended warranty contracts must be insured through an extended warranty reimbursement insurance policy sold through an authorized insurance provider.  Or, the provider must demonstrate that reserves for claims, as stated in providers financial statements, do not exceed one-half of a providers net worth.

Additional information is available by contacting the agency at 800-203-3447, 860-297-3800 or or visit .  Also, review Bulletin PC-45-03.

Does an accountant need to be licensed?

Accountants are licensed through the Connecticut State Board of Accountancy.   However, no license is required to perform bookkeeping / office management services. For more information contact the agency at (860) 509-6179 or or visit 

According to the Connecticut Department of Revenue Services, unless the core business provides accounting services to corporations, there is no sales tax consideration.  Bookkeeping is not considered a taxable service.  However, office management services falls under the category of "business management" which is considered taxable.  The business must obtain a sales and use tax certificate. In addition, paid preparers and facilitators need to register.  Contact the agency at 800-382-9463 (Connecticut only), (860) 297-5962 or or visit

Are there special considerations to form a social or investment club?

It is highly recommended that one speak with a business attorney or tax accountant when forming a social or investment club, even if the club is considered an informal gathering.  Some clubs choose to organize as a nonprofit corporation in order to limit the liability for individual club members, especially when fund raising. 

Social Clubs
Typically no license is required for a social club.

Investment Clubs
According to the Connecticut Department of Banking there is no special license required for investment clubs so long as there is no compensation for performing the service of investing money.  Investment clubs are typically comprised of friends forming an informal group which decides how to invest the pooled money. 

If a business structure is formed and some form of compensation is received for the investment act(s), a Securities Investment Advisor Agent registration  is required.  Contact the agency: (860) 240-8230 or visit

According to the Connecticut Department of Revenue Services, club dues and fees are subject to state sales tax.  Register to for the sales and use tax certificate.   Contact the agency:  1-800-382-9463 (Connecticut Only), (860) 297-5962 or or visit

For your reference:
Connecticut Society of Certified Public Accountants ( offers an accounting referral service
Connecticut Bar Association ( offers a lawyer referral service.

Does credit counseling require a license?

Credit counseling services requires a Debt Adjuster license through the Connecticut Department of Banking.

Debt Negotiation license is required if services are offered for a fee or with the expectation of a fee, commission or other valuable consideration, to assist a debtor in negotiating or attempting to negotiate on behalf of a debtor the terms of a debtor's obligations with one or more mortgagees or creditors of the debtor, including the negotiation of short sales of residential property or foreclosure rescue services.

Contact the agency: (860) 240-8200 or visit

I offer estate planning services, do I need to hold a license?

According to the Connecticut State Law Library, estate planning does not require licensing.  It is suggested to consult with an attorney for further guidance.

However, services that include investment advice requires a Securities, Investment Advisor license with the Connecticut Department of Banking.  Contact the agency: (860) 240-8230 or visit

According to the Connecticut Department of Revenue Services, investment advice for the buying and selling of stocks, securities or annuities on behalf of a firm or client is not considered taxable.  Additionally providing advice in connection with the sale, acquisition and financing of real estate assets is not considered taxable.  For more information refer to PS 92(9) Sales and Use Taxes on Investment Banking and Advisory Services.  Contact the agency: 1-800-382-9463 (Connecticut only) or (860) 297-5962 or or visit

Do tax preparers require a license?

According to the Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection, tax preparers (third party / bulk filers) are not required to be certified public accountants.  However, the tax preparer is not permitted to represent themselves as certified public accountants or professional accountants which are licensed through the Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection. Contact the agency: 860-509-6179 or or visit

Register with the Connecticut Department of Revenue Services (DRS) as a Third Party/Bulk Filer (TPBF)Paid preparers and facilitators need to register with DRS.  Review SN 2017(8) for details. Contact the agency: 800-382-9463 (Connecticut only), (860) 297-5962 or ir visit
Note: Persons registered as Third Party/Bulk Filers are not given the authority to act as agents of the Department of Revenue Services.

According to the U.S. Internal Revenue Services (IRS), federal tax return preparers will be required to obtain a preparer tax identification number (PTIN).  Additional regulations for preparers who are not attorneys, public accountants and enrolled agents, are being considered including competency tests and continued professional education.  For more information please review  Publication 4832, Return Preparer Review.

Are there licensing requirements to sell pet insurance?

Pet Insurance is included in Property & Casualty authority with the Connecticut Insurance Department.

  • Residents are required to complete the pre-licensing course, then pass an exam prior to submitting the application.
  • Non-Residents need to hold the Property & Casualty authority in their resident state before they could apply for a non-resident license.

Applications are  provided online by the National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR).  Prometric provides the Licensing Handbook and schedules exams.