AdvanceCT +1 (860) 571-7136

Business Entity Formation/Management

Connecticut Business Registration Requirements

In Summary:

Any business activity (sale of products and/or services) with a physical presence in Connecticut, requires business registration either as a domestic (formed in Connecticut) or a foreign (outside of Connecticut) entity. 

  1. Consider a business name that is unique and verify no other business is using the name.
  2. Find a perfect location for your business
  3. Consider local requirements
  4. Depending on business structure register with the town clerk or Secretary of the State
  5. Register for your state and federal tax id numbers

Detailed Instruction: (follow in the order presented)

Step 1 - Business Name

Choose and verify that the business name you choose is available to use. 

Step 2 - Find a Location

*  Business registration is location specific.
*  Be certain that the address used on the registration applications is an active address to receive mail.
*  If you require assistance in finding a location, is a free service to assist businesses in finding a location. 

Step 3 - Local Considerations

  • Contact the municipal (city or town) offices including planning and zoning for zoning regulations.  In some instances, the local health and fire official
  • Tradename certificate (often referred to as a DBA or fictitious name) with the town clerk - applies to sole proprietors and general partnerships
  • Even if your business does not plan to have an office or facility in Connecticut, depending on the nature of the work being performed in Connecticut, local permitting may be required.

Step 4 - Register Your Business Structure

If you are not certain as to which business structure to chose, we recommend that you speak with both a business attorney and tax accountant.  The following link provides a brief overview.

Connecticut Secretary of the State
Contact: (860) 509-6002 or or visit

  • Applicable business structures:
    Domestic and foreign corporation (stock and non-stock), LLC, LLP, LP
  • How to Apply:
    Online filing is available for most forms or forms can be downloaded and mailed/faxed (review guidelines and cover sheet, credit card payments are accepted).  Forms can be expedited for a fee of $50 per form.

    NOTE:  You DO NOT need to file the name reservation form if you are prepared to presently file the organization documents.  Name reservation is available to those businesses wishing to hold a name until they are ready to organize. The reservation is good for 120 days and will require you to refile if you need more than 120 days.

  • Form Name & Fees:

    Domestic (within Connecticut) - Fees and Form Names

    *  Stock Corporation – file Certificate of Incorporation ($100), Franchise Tax ($150) and Organizational Report ($150) - see Chapter 601
    * Non-stock Corporation – file Certificate of Incorporation ($50) and Organizational Report ($50) (nonprofit) - see Chapter 601
    * Limited Liability Company (LLC)– file Certificate of Organization ($120) - see Chapter 613a
    Limited Liability Partnership (LLP) – file Certificate of Limited Liability Partnership ($120) - see Chapter 614
    Limited Partnership (LP) – file Certificate of Limited Partnership ($120)
    * Religious Organization or Society ($50)

    Foreign (out-of-state and international) - Fees and Form Names
    Stock Corporation - file Certificate of Authority ($385) - see Chapter 601, Sec. 99-920
    * Non-Stock Corporation – file Certificate of Authority ($40) - see Chapter 601, Sec. 99-920
    * Limited Liability Partnership – file Certificate of Authority ($120) - see Chapter 614
    * Limited Liability Company – file Certificate of Registration ($120) - see Chapter 613

  • Annual Report
    Businesses filed with the Connecticut Secretary of the State must file an annual report

  • Other Documentation to Support Business Structure
    * Corporation
    -  Initial and annual director and shareholder meetings
    -  Minutes of the meetings
    -  Stock to shareholders and any transfers

    * LLC
    Operating agreement
    -  Annual meeting with members and minutes
    -  Membership shares and and transfer of shares

    * LLP and LP
    Partnership agreement
    -  Annual meeting with members and minutes
    -  Partnership shares and and transfer of shares

Town Clerk
Contact: Town Clerk of the town in which the business is based

  • Applicable business structures:
    sole proprietors and general partnerships and any other entity wanting to add a DBA (doing business as)
  • How to Apply:
    Visit the local town clerk's office.  Forms are supplied by the town
  • Form Name & Fees:
    Trade name certificate (DBA).  Cost varies according to town.
    No filing with the Connecticut Secretary of the State is required.

Step 5 - Register for Your Tax ID Numbers

Federal - U.S. Internal Revenue Services
Contact: 1-800-829-4933 or visit 

State - Connecticut Department of Revenue Services
Contact: 860-297-5962, 1-800-382-9463 (Connecticut only), bond hotline 860-541-7538 or .  Visit:

State - Connecticut Department of Labor
  860-263-6550 (Employer Status), 860-263-6567 (Fax) or  Visit:

Step 6 - Obtain Insurance

Obtain Workers' Compensation Insurance
Secure workers' compensation insurance through a private insurance company. (fees vary)
*  With the exception of sole proprietorships or single member LLCs, businesses are required to obtain workers' compensation insurance even if they do not hire employees.  However, such organizations can exclude themselves from coverage by filing form 6B.
*  Further assistance is provided through Connecticut's Workers' Compensation Commission
Contact: 1-800-223-9675 or  Agency web site:

Other Insurance
It is strongly recommended that businesses contact their insurance agent to inquire about proper insurance coverage in addition to workers' compensation insurance.


Additional licensing requirements may apply depending on the nature of the work performed or products sold.  Search our licensing database and frequently asked questions to learn more contact Connecticut's Business Helpline - 800-392-2122. 

Hiring Foreign Employees
Be familiar with U.S. immigration obligations and obtain proper VISAs from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.  Contact: 1-800-375-5283 or visit

Record Keeping
Be certain to keep all records of your filing history including initial confirmation and official registration notices, document your registration numbers, online log in usernames and passwords.  Make special notes in your calendar for due dates for annual report filings, tax reporting, renewal periods.  If you change your business address or email address, business name or structure notify all agencies in which you hold a registration or license. 

Business Resources:

Business Counseling:

Business Services at AdvanceCT provides new, expanding and relocating businesses with information to guide you through the licensing and registration process in order to conduct business in Connecticut.  We are not a processing or counseling agency and we are prohibited from offering legal advice and accounting services.  However, we are available to assist you in answering general questions and filling out agency application forms.

Lawyer (Connecticut Bar Association) and accounting referral (Connecticut Society of Certified Public Accountants) services available online.