Director of Business Development
Director of Business Development
Rocky Hill, CT
Full-time, exempt, occasional evening or weekend meetings. Moderate to frequent (up to 50 percent or more) intrastate, domestic, and international travel
Position and compensation will be offered at a director level depending on education and experience
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume in confidence to Jennifer Mearns at firstname.lastname@example.org
AdvanceCT is an independent, private, nonprofit that seeks to advance business formation, retention, recruitment and growth in Connecticut. AdvanceCT’s mission is to bring business, government, higher education, and nonprofits together to create high impact and inclusive economic development solutions.
On February 1, 2019, Governor Lamont announced a new construct to support an invigorated and aggressive economic development strategy in Connecticut. “We need to think holistically in terms of how we recruit, keep and grow companies here in the state of Connecticut. […] For too long, we’ve looked at economic growth and development in silos instead of with a comprehensive view that allows us to see the impact of our decisions on the long-term financial sustainability and success of our state, and therefore, our residents.”
AdvanceCT and the Connecticut Department of Economic and Community Development (“DECD”) are working in collaboration to drive economic development. AdvanceCT is responsible for driving recruitment, retention and expansion activities, in close coordination with the DECD.
This is an exciting time to join the AdvanceCT team! AdvanceCT is transforming into a market-facing, business-driven organization with a revised and expanded board of directors, new leadership, and a new strategic focus. AdvanceCT will concentrate its resources on promoting business retention and expansion, on recruiting new businesses, and on supporting state and municipal development initiatives. AdvanceCT will help to solidify Connecticut’s reputation as a great place to do business – with a premier location, a highly educated workforce, a responsive state government, strong schools, and a high quality of life.
The objective of the Business Development team is to recruit companies, entrepreneurs and new technologies to Connecticut! We seek experienced professionals to lead our business development and retention efforts, which will be centered on the state’s priority sectors—Advanced Manufacturing, Bioscience, Financial Services, Insurance, and Software and Data Services—but encompass other important areas also, such as Green Energy and Technology Innovation. Depending on experience, sectoral knowledge and other qualifications of hires, we expect to hire multiple individuals to serve as Director of Business Development.
The Director of Business Development reports to the Vice President of Business Development. The position is responsible for directing and executing the business development and retention efforts for an industry sector (or more) by developing a pipeline of new business and investment in Connecticut. The position is responsible for building and managing client (company) leads with the goal to recruit companies to enter (and/or expand) in Connecticut. The role is accountable for achieving specific investment and job growth targets. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated the ability to recruit and retain companies, possess knowledge about a designated sector, have relevant experience, and be able to develop a priority cluster and related supply chains. A strong network of industry/sectoral contacts is desirable.
- Successfully recruit companies to the state and retain companies already present.
- Build, develop and manage pipeline of investment prospects, cultivate and manage leads, ensure ongoing data entry of company and contact information into CRM system.
- Serve as trusted point of contact for investors throughout the entirety of their investment/ expansion projects.
- Develop, manage, and foster relationships with industry leaders, sectoral experts, government leaders, and other relevant industry / sector stakeholders throughout the state, the Northeast, and beyond (as appropriate).
- Engage stakeholders and leaders in industry to facilitate innovative programs, partnerships, and recruitment activities to spur cluster growth, job creation, and investment.
- Act as a representative of Connecticut at domestic and international industry trade shows and conferences. Conduct prompt follow up with leads generated at events and aggressively recruit companies to visit Connecticut.
- Coordinate industry trade and investment delegations and visits from potential investors, including outreach to chambers of commerce, sectoral associations, international embassies and consulates, and similar organizations and offices.
- This is a full-time position in an office setting.
- There will be occasional and sometimes frequent evening and weekend meetings and events.
- The position may require significant local, domestic, and international travel.
- This position will require frequent sitting, standing, and walking.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant area such as Business, Economics, Finance, International Affairs, and technical fields.
- Three to five years of work experience in related industry, sector/cluster, or business function.
- Training/Certificate/Advanced Degree in relevant field or subject matter.
- Experience in economic development, business development, client relations, or similar role.
- Experience living or working in a foreign market.
- Foreign language fluency.
- Volunteer, community service, or similar activity.
Skills, Knowledge, Abilities and Attitude
- Business Development. Ability to forge meaningful business relationships with diverse constituents and develop strong relationships with public and private partners. Confidence in recruiting national and international companies and retaining state businesses. Able to engage sectoral associations, business groups, chambers of commerce, and similar organizations to showcase the state’s economic strengths and articulate the value proposition for businesses to locate here. Demonstrated success in business attraction, membership development, client or portfolio management, building a book of business, or similar endeavor.
- Teamwork/Communications. Ability to work collaboratively on concurrent projects with internal colleagues and external partners at a tight-knit organization. Excellent written and verbal communications, including effectiveness in live and video/audio presentations to groups.
- Strategic/Operational Management. Thorough understanding of business and strategic planning processes, due diligence procedures, and risk management.
- Sales/Marketing. Adept at using sales / marketing tools, in concert with substantive data and analysis, to create compelling presentations and information packages.
- Data Management. Understanding of how to gather, use and leverage data and research using the most current and innovative tools and techniques.
- Integrity and Values. Highly respected for integrity, humility and strength of character. Exercise sound judgment that inspires trust among colleagues and stakeholders.
- Attitude and Performance. Hard worker with a positive attitude, customer service focus, and a “can-do” mentality who seeks and enjoys challenges. Detail-oriented with high expectations and accountability mindset.
Additional Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Conceptual or working understanding of the lifecycle of business investment projects.
- Comfort and ability to make cold calls or follow up with potential leads.
- Ability to collect and analyze data to determine sector/cluster strategy and tactics.
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently to achieve organizational goals and targets.
- Knowledge of state and local taxes, incentives, and business attraction programs.
- Strong contacts in industry and trade groups associated with assigned sector/s.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and passport.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume in confidence to Jennifer Mearns at email@example.com.